What is liposuction?
Whether you have an abdominal bulge, can pinch an inch on your flanks, or have a double chin and have yet to find a chin exercise (because they don’t exist), we invite you to learn more about how easy it is to trim down those problem areas with liposuction. If you are a Huntington Beach resident whose fat deposits are preventing you from feeling fabulous, then they’ve got to go. Luckily plastic surgeons can eliminate this stubborn fat from your problem areas – up to 4 lbs in just a few minimally invasive but highly effective treatments.
Liposuction is one of the most popular plastic surgery procedures performed by Orange County plastic surgeon Dr. Vu of California Aesthetic Center. He often combines the procedure with other elective plastic surgeries to give Huntington Beach patients optimal results. For example, liposuction is commonly combined with a tummy tuck in which excess skin is removed, and separated abdominal muscles are repaired. Many women chose to included a breast augmentation as part of a mommy makeover. It’s all about looking and feeling your best.
Before & After Photos
Wanting elective plastic surgery to re-contour your body doesn’t automatically qualify you for the procedure. Because Dr. Vu’s first concern is your overall health and well-being, he carefully screens each of his potential surgical candidates to ensure that they:
- Are in good overall health and can pass a pre-operative appointment from their primary care physician.
- Are non-smokers, as smoking can complicate plastic surgery and lengthen recovery times.
- Have realistic expectations for their surgery.
- Are at or near their goal weight, because liposuction isn’t a weight loss surgery.
- Are in good psychological health.
While it’s possible you’ll be cleared for surgery if you have a pre-existing condition, certain diseases make it difficult to achieve optimal results. These diseases include diabetes, compromised immune systems, poor blood circulation or lung disease. Not only can these conditions negate your results, but they can unnecessarily put you at risk for serious health complications.
Even if you’re initially declined as a patient, it’s possible, depending on the reason you were rejected, that you’ll be accepted in the future. Dr. Vu encourages all of his declined candidates to stay in touch with his practice to provide status updates that may make you a candidate for liposuction in the future. For example, if you were declined because you were a smoker, but have since quit, you may be reconsidered. Or if you were turned down because your diabetes wasn’t under control, but now is, it’s possible Dr. Vu can safely take you on as a candidate. Just keep in mind, Dr. Vu wants to help you and your self-confidence, but he puts all of his Huntington Beach patient’s well-being and safety first.
Benefits of liposuction
The obvious benefit of this procedure is a reduction of fat in problem areas. In some cases, such as with a fat transfer to buttocks or Brazilian butt lift, the fat that’s harvested during liposuction is processed and then injected into areas where you want more volume and curves.
For cosmetic purposes, this surgery offers Southern Californian’s the confidence they need at work and play. We live in a city with one of the most beautiful beaches on the west coast, and we spend a lot of time outdoors in bikinis, shorts, and flip-flops, so liposuction has tremendous emotional benefits. Lipo can be performed on many areas, including:
- Breasts – both men and women
Typically, liposuction is a cosmetic surgery, but it’s also used to treat lymphedema, a chronic illness in which excess fluid collects in affected tissue. The procedure can greatly reduce swelling and pain for those with lymphedema. In these cases, it’s possible that your health care insurance plan will cover all or a portion of your procedure.
Types of Liposuction Procedures
Depending on Dr. Vu’s recommendations or his Huntington Beach patients’ personal preferences, the following procedures may be performed:
- Dry: As the name implies, this procedure is completed without any fluid being injected. However, this is also why this procedure is not commonly recommended. The absence of liquid before fat removal may lead to excessive bleeding and bruising, so it’s reserved for special
- Wet: In this procedure, a small amount of liquid is injected into the designated area. The liquid is of less volume than the amount of fat that is to be removed and keeps bruising to a minimum. Loosened fat cells are suctioned out.
- Super Wet: In this procedure, the liquid used is of the same amount as the fact that is to be removed. Huntington Beach patients may be required to have a separate anesthetic.
- Tumescent: This is one of the most popular types of procedures performed today. During the surgery, several liters of saline solution is injected under the skin with a local anesthetic and epinephrine. This is done in the area that is to be suctioned. The fat is extracted through tubes. There is a reason why liquid is pumped into the skin. It is done to allow the surgeon to maneuver the cannula (the thin suction device used to remove the fat)
- Ultrasound: Ultrasound liposuction or UAL energizes the cannula with ultrasound. The energized equipment melts away the fat as soon as it touches it. This makes it easier for Dr. Vu to suction out the fat. The process is usually done on areas where the surgical treatment has been performed on before, or on areas that are more fibrous such as a man’s breast or back.
The specific technique that Dr. Vu will recommend for your treatment is going to depend on a number of factors, including your overall health, the area to be treated, whether or not you’ve had the procedure performed on the treatment area in the past, and your personal preferences. But, we encourage our Huntington Beach patients to understand that just because your best friend achieved great results with one particular technique, doesn’t mean the same procedure is best for you. Trust Dr. Vu’s knowledge and experience when he recommends surgical techniques, as his goal is the same as yours – a safe surgery that meets your expectations.
YOUR EXPERIENCE ON SURGERY DAY
Many of Dr. Vu’s elective plastic surgery patients have never had surgery. For this reason, they’re understandably curious and/or anxious about what it will entail. So we have outlined what a typical liposuction procedure is like.
On your surgery day, you’ll arrive at the facility having fasted at least 12 hours. Fasting is important because you want to have an empty stomach before you receive the general anesthesia used to put you to sleep. Shortly after you arrive, you’ll be wheeled into a preoperative room where you’ll be prepped for surgery and have your vital signs monitored.
Before he begins, Dr. Vu marks out where the treatment will take place. Before and after photos are often taken to compare the results. Many Huntington Beach patients are put under general anesthetic and might be injected with an epidural in the fluid-filled space around the spine. This is done to numb the lower area such as the abdomen and legs. The whole procedure may last one to four hours. If the surgery is to be done on very small areas, the procedure may involve a local anesthetic.
Once you’re numbed and under the effects of anesthesia, Dr. Vu will begin. He makes small incisions in your treatment area and then inserts the cannula. The fat is suctioned out with this thin, tube-like instrument using gentle up and down motions.
After surgery, you’ll be transferred to a recovery room where you’ll awaken from general anesthesia and have your vital signs monitored to confirm it’s safe for you to come home. Once the nurses and medical staff agree you’re ready to leave, you’ll be given your postoperative instructions and released into the care of a friend or family member who can drive you home.
Schedule Your Consultation Today
If you have stubborn fat deposits that won’t go away, then liposuction is for you! To learn more schedule a consultation with Dr. Vu at Huntington Beach’s California Aesthetic Center. To make this appointment today, call (714) 848-1133.