What is rhinoplasty?
Noses come in all shapes, sizes, and profiles. Unfortunately, some Huntington Beach and Orange County residents aren’t happy with the aesthetics of their nose or have functional conditions which interfere with their breathing. Whether you’re seeking rhinoplasty because of injury or genetics, at California Aesthetic Center, we offer you a solution.
Rhinoplasty, or a “nose job” as it is popularly referred to, is a plastic surgery procedure that is performed on the nose to change its appearance or help people alleviate their breathing difficulties. The procedure may be performed for a variety of reasons such as:
- Changing the nasal tip or bridge
- Reducing the size of the nose
- Removing any unsightly humps or bumps
- Giving the nose a straighter or narrower look
- Adjusting the size of the nostrils
- Helping patients with breathing difficulties to breathe better
Huntington Beach and Orange County patients may consider rhinoplasty for the following reasons:
- Aesthetic – Meaning, you are not happy with the physical appearance of your nose.
- Functional – Meaning, the structural condition of your nose causing breathing difficulty.
Merely having a reason that would qualify you for a nose job doesn’t automatically mean Dr. Vu will accept you as a patient. When it comes to nose jobs, Dr. Vu accepts patients who:
- Are in good general health
- Are at least 16 years of age
- Have realistic goals for their surgery
- Are in good psychological health
- Are non-smokers, as smoking can complicate both the surgical and recovery process
Rhinoplasty is commonly performed to address cosmetic issues. There are a variety of different reasons that people who live in the Huntington Beach and Orange County area may want and/or need a nose job. Among the reasons for aesthetic rhinoplasty are:
- Irregular Nasal Tip – The nasal tip is situated right at the tip of the nose. However, one side of the tip may be different than the other in some cases. In other words, one of the sides may look smaller, bigger, twisted or lower than the other. As with any feature, an asymmetrical nose will distort a person’s entire facial appearance. The shape of the tip is influenced by the shape of the cartilage underneath which may be irregular due to injury or hereditary causes.
- Nasal Tip Projection – Some people may opt for a nose job in order to rectify a nasal tip that sticks too far out and looks irregular as a result. It may even make the nose look bigger than it actually The deformity may be rectified by raising the bridge of the nose to reduce the irregularity. Dr. Vu may decide to reduce the projection of the nasal tip itself as well. Huntington Beach and Orange County patients are advised to ask Dr. Vu about the type of procedure that is to be carried out. One of Dr. Vu’s goals is to work with you while devising your surgical plan, so he takes as much time as is needed to educate you about your rhinoplasty surgery. Dr. Vu will always recommend the most ideal option for each of his patients’ unique case.
- Crooked Nose – A crooked nose is a result of nasal septum or bone that does not lie down the midline of the face. The result is a nose that looks like it is leaning to one side more than the other. While genetics may play a part, the condition may also be caused because of injuries. Rhinoplasty is used to reshape the nasal septum and nasal bone, which straightens the nose permanently.
- Wide Nose – A nose that is too wide may also call for the procedure. The surgery varies according to the extent of the issue. For example, if the skin around the nose happens to be very thick, Vu may make it thinner and change its shape. However, candidates are advised to remember that the thinness may not appear as they expected. Dr. Vu will reduce the width of the nose significantly if the problem is due to the underlying bone structure.
- Depressed Nose – Also known as a ski nose, a depressed nose as the name implies is a nose that has a depression on the nasal bridge. The deformity is usually corrected with septal cartilage or special implant. The result is a flatter and more uniform looking nose.
Functional rhinoplasty offers tremendous relief for Huntington Beach and Orange County patients who are suffering from breathing difficulties. Those with functional issues, require surgery to correct conditions such as nasal blockages or nasal deformities.
Every surgery is technically unique, and although they have much in common, each is designed to address specifics unique to the individual. The procedure itself is either done in a surgeon’s office or hospital and usually takes about two hours, but can last longer depending on the extent of the work being performed. The patient is put under local anesthetic. Most of the incisions are hidden inside the nose. The nasal splint is left in for a week.
The type of procedure chosen depends on the issue itself. For example, if the surgery is a tiplasty or involves thinning of the tip of the nose, the incisions will be made on the columella or at the base. Incisions may be made on either side of the nose if it is to be narrowed.
If the procedure calls for a thinning of the nose itself the incisions will be made from the initial incisions into the bridge of the nose through the cartilage. A tool called an osteotome is used and tapped with a rubber hammer. The chisel-like tool is used to break the bone carefully. Precision breaks may take time. A hump may be filed.
The nose is given a little more projection if needed by moving together the broken bones to form a narrower bridge. This process is also known as an infracture. A nose that is widened after the bones are broken is known as an outfracture. The incisions are closed with sutures. Dr. Vu may insert some packing inside to retain the shape of the nose and keep bruising to a minimum. A cast that is made from plastic, metal, and plaster is put on the nose to keep it protected from trauma. This is also done to retain its shape and reduce bleeding or bruising. Huntington Beach and Orange County patients are advised to refrain from physical activities such as exercise as this may interfere with the healing process.
Your Experience on surgery day
It’s possible that you’ve never had surgery, and even if you have, it’s understandable that you’re curious and somewhat apprehensive about what your experience will be like. To reduce your anxiety and answer your questions, Dr. Vu spends ample time discussing the specifics of your surgery in advance because the better educated you are, the more confident you will feel. Below, we’ve outlined the basics of what a typical rhinoplasty surgery entails.
On the day of your surgery, you’ll arrive at the facility having fasted for at least 12 hours. Fasting is necessary because you will be given general anesthesia. Dr. Vu wants his Huntington Beach and Orange County patients to have an empty stomach to prevent complications.
First, you’ll be taken to a preoperative room where a team of attentive, efficient nurses and medical assistants will help prepare you for surgery. Every detail is pre-planned, and nothing is left to chance. You’ll be helped into your hospital gown and hospital bed and given a comfortable pillow and warm blanket. Your vital signs will be monitored in addition to any other pre-op needs. It is crucial that we take every precaution available to check for indications that you may be sick or have an infection. If we discern you are not well enough for surgery, we will reschedule your procedure.
From there, you’ll be transferred to a brightly lit and sterile operating room where Dr. Vu will be prepared to perform your rhinoplasty surgery. You’ll receive general anesthesia which only takes seconds to put you into a state of unconsciousness. When your operation is complete; you’ll be moved to a recovery room where another nursing team will closely monitor you. Once you’re cleared to go home, you’ll be given your post-operative instructions and released into the care of a friend or relative to drive you home.
Do you often feel self-conscious about your nose? A rhinoplasty, better known as a nose job, can help you feel more confident by enhancing your natural appearance through the reshaping of the nose for facial harmony and a beautifully balanced look.
Schedule a consultation to learn more!
Patients can expect swelling and bruising immediately after their surgery which should slowly subside with time. Initially, a nasal splint will be needed, but how long you will have to wear it is based upon the invasiveness of your surgery. It can take as long as six months for Huntington Beach and Orange County patients to see their final results.
Benefits of rhinoplasty
With so many variables, rhinoplasty can produce an array of benefits and results. Some of these include:
- Allowing patients who have breathing problems due to nasal deformities breathe and sleep better.
- Making patients more confident about their appearance.
- Correcting nasal deformities due to genetics or injuries.
Schedule an Initial Consultation
Whether you’re looking to change the way your nose looks and/or correct functional issues, we invite you to call our Huntington Beach office at (714) 848-1133 to schedule an initial consultation with Dr.Vu at California Aesthetic Center in Orange County.