A tummy tuck, also called abdominoplasty, is a popular plastic surgery procedure for Huntington Beach men and women. After all, they do live in Surf City, so they always want to be beach ready!
A common question that Huntington Beach plastic surgeon Dr. Vu of California Aesthetic Center is asked during tummy tuck consultations is whether future weight gain will affect surgical results. The answer is yes. The ideal abdominoplasty will be at or near his or her goal weight, with an exercise and diet plan to maintain that weight in the future.
How Weight Gain Affects Tummy Tuck Results
Women and men desire abdominoplasty for a variety of reasons, including:
- Having separated abdominal muscles after pregnancy
- Recently having lost a lot of weight, only to find they’re left with loose and sagging abdominal skin
- Wanting to get rid of that last bit of pooch that sticks out, no matter how hard one diets or exercises
The important thing to remember that in each of these scenarios, the tummy tuck patient is at or near his or her goal weight. The surgery is designed to either stitch up loose abdominal muscles (a common pregnancy side effect) or excise loose and flabby skin that remains after weight loss or has always been present besides being otherwise slim and fit.
Huntington Beach patients should remember that abdominoplasty isn’t weight loss surgery. Alternatively, it’s a surgery that one typically gets to rejuvenate his or her body after having lost weight but having sagging skin that remains.
When abdominoplasty patients gain weight after their abdominoplasties, they run the risk of enlarging their abdomen once again, stretching their skin out just as far or further than before, and having that pooch they exercised so hard to get rid of in the future. Even if the patient loses the excess weight a second time, he or she still risks having new, excess skin that will need to be removed via a second plastic surgery.
The Ideal Tummy Tuck Patient
Huntington Beach plastic surgeon Dr. Vu of California Aesthetic Center believes the ideal abdominoplasty patient should meet the following criteria:
- Be at, or very close to his or her ideal weight, and have a fitness and nutrition plan to maintain that weight
- If female, be certain she is done having children, as future pregnancies can negate surgical results
- Be in good overall physical and mental health and able to pass a pre-op exam from his or her primary care physician
- Not use any tobacco products, as smoking, vaping, and chewing tobacco can slow down recovery times
If you feel you fit this criterion, you just may be a good candidate for an abdominoplasty by Dr. Vu!
Schedule Your Initial Consultation Today
Ultimately, only Dr. Vu can determine if you’re ready for an abdominoplasty procedure. Through a thorough examination of your abdomen and asking you lifestyle questions, he’ll be able to determine if you are ready for plastic surgery, or if you need to maintain your current weight longer to ensure you can do so post-op, too.
To consult with Dr. Vu, schedule an initial appointment today at (714) 848-1133.