What is it?
Becoming pregnant, having children, giving birth, and nursing – if you choose, are all worth it when you hold your child in your arms. The love that women feel for their children is indescribable. The reason that women have children in the prime of their lives is that it takes a healthy young woman to go the rigors of motherhood. Your body goes through an incredible transformation before, during, and after pregnancy, Pregnancy is commonly known for leaving women with a pooch, stretch marks, loose abdominal skin, and deflated breasts, droopy breasts. You also have to contend with the extra baby weight that stubbornly sticks around and won’t respond to diet and exercise. Longing to have their firm, pretty curves back, many women in Huntington Beach turn to Dr. Vu of California Aesthetic Center for a collection of plastic surgery procedures commonly referred to as a Mommy Makeover.
The term mommy makeover is coined for any collection of surgeries that are meant to restore a woman’s pre-pregnancy physique. Some of the procedures chosen for this may include plastic surgeries such as:
These procedures will be discussed in more detail below.
Ideal Surgical Candidates
Childbirth or pregnancy is hard on a woman’s body. Other factors such as breastfeeding and sleepless nights add to the problem. Huntington Beach women who have undergone multiple pregnancies often have trouble restoring their bodies back to their former glory with the help of traditional methods such as workout plans or diets. Plastic surgery can address and correct these changes. The best candidates for the procedure are usually women who:
- Don’t plan to have any more children
- Have certain bodily issues that have not responded to exercise or diets
- Are done with breastfeeding in order to undergo breast procedures
- Have taken time off to allow for a full recovery following their Mommy Makeover
- Are in good general health
- Have realistic expectations for their combination of surgeries
- Are in good psychological health
- Are non-smokers, as smoking may complicate your plastic surgery and recovery process
Most women in the Huntington beach area have a relatively fit figure before pregnancy. During pregnancy, the abdomen tends to stretch out as the baby grows and the breasts become engorged with milk. After giving birth, new mothers begin to lose weight, but their skin won’t shrink back to its pre-pregnancy tautness. Additionally, women frequently suffer from diastasis recti, or separated abdominal muscles, during pregnancy. This occurs as the abdominal wall muscles separate, causing a bulge that cannot be corrected without surgery. And finally, women who have a C-section may have uneven scars, or in the case of an emergency C-section, a vertical scar that extends well above the bikini line.
Thighs and Hips
A woman is required to eat for two or more depending on how many children she has during her pregnancy. Taking off the weight gained can become a problem after she gives birth. Fat usually accumulates on the outer thighs, the hips and the back region. It can become downright impossible to get rid of it through traditional means that might have worked before like exercise plans. Procedures such as liposuction can be used to restore these areas back to their former glory.
The breasts are often fuller and firmer during and after pregnancy. However, this is generally short-lived as they can sag and droop over time. The skin can sag, and the areola may widen. Procedures such as silicon or saline implants can restore the breasts back to their original appearance or enhance them.
What Procedures Are Part of a Mommy Makeover?
- Liposuction – Having fat extracted from the body isn’t as glamorous as it sounds, but it does have a telling effect. Liposuction is not a weight loss The surgery can only remove 4lbs of fat per session, on average. However, it can remove stubborn fatty deposits that won’t go away despite proper diet and exercise. The procedure can take anywhere from two hours to 45 minutes. The fat is removed through a vacuum-like process and is designed to create a smoother body contour.
- Breast Lift – This plastic surgery procedure is meant to improve the appearance of sagging breasts that have become that way due to pregnancy and breastfeeding. Also known as a mastopexy, this surgery addresses the skin of the breasts, volume, and its connective tissue. In other words, it removes or reshapes excess skin, repositions the nipples and raises the remaining tissue.
- Breast Augmentation – This surgery brings a woman’s cup size back to its original appearance pre-pregnancy, and even allows her to go a little bigger if she’d like. Also known as breast enlargement, this surgery accommodates the use of silicone or gel-based The final result depends on the Huntington Beach patient’s body, the look or shape she desires to have and her desired cup size. Dr. Vu works very carefully with his Huntington Beach patients when they are selecting what breast size would be most flattering. While some women only want to regain the volume they’ve lost, others want to move up a size. As such, special consideration needs to be made to ensure that the breast implant size, shape, and profile will best suit your frame.
- Tummy Tuck – This procedure is done to relieve skin sagging in the abdomen and repair separated abdominal muscles. The surgery does not help a Huntington Beach patient lose weight. Instead, it is meant to flatten an area that just won’t tighten. Tummy tucks come in three categories –
- Mini tummy tuck – This is a scarless tummy tuck or results in very small scars. It is used to tighten the lower skin of the abdominal wall
- Standard tummy tuck – This procedure tightens the skin of the abdominal wall and involves moderate scarring
- Extended tummy tuck – This involves extreme cases of skin and tissue. It is used to tighten the abdomen, sides or flanks.
You probably have a good idea of the areas of your body that you’re most unhappy with. Dr. Vu will work with you to prepare a personalized treatment plan that is just right for you.
Your Recovery Process
If you decide that a Mommy Makeover is for you, Dr. Vu will give you a list of do’s and don’ts that you must follow for optimal results. To be clear – in order to achieve your goals and have a speedy, safe recovery, you must be committed. One of greatest benefits of a Mommy Makeover is that you are able to recover from your combination of surgeries at the same time, which helps busy moms in Huntington Beach who don’t have the luxury of sporadic downtime.
These surgeries require general anesthesia, and Huntington Beach patients will need assistance for at least several days. Assistance includes everything, literally. Any drainage tubes that are inserted are usually removed a week later by Dr. Vu. Until the bandages are removed, patients shouldn’t shower or get the surgical sites wet.
Also, surgical garments will need to be worn to promote healing and prevent blood clots from forming. Swelling and bruising is to be expected but will subside with time. Dr. Vu advises his Huntington Beach patients against engaging in any strenuous activities for an extended period. Remember that a Mommy Makeover is a serious surgery, and although you may be feeling better, you cannot risk the chance of tearing your stitches or incurring other complications, such as an infection. Take it easy – this is “me” time. Dr. Vu knows that it’s hard for busy moms like you to find time to focus solely on yourself. But you’ll need to enlist the help of friends, family or an in-home care team as you recover from your plastic surgery procedures because, despite your instincts, you’re going to need to put yourself first for a few weeks. This means you won’t be able to lift or carry small children, you’ll need plenty of time to rest and recover, and you won’t be able to run errands or perform your other normal household and mommy tasks.
There’s No Time Like the Present
If you’re tired of your “Mom body” and are ready for a drastic change, a Mommy Makeover is for you! It’s all about feeling fantastic both inside and out. Want to leave that embarrassing, flabby excess skin and belly bulge in the past for good? How about feeling sexy and confident about your voluptuous, pretty breasts? Go ahead, buy that cute two-piece swimsuit and give California Aesthetic Center in Huntington Beach a call today at (714) 848-1133!